4.15.2010

I'm Hungry, What Do We Eat Here? (Vol. I)

We're obviously going to have a few of these.

So you've found yourself in Cape Cod with a grumbling stomach. What to eat?

First rule: Do not - I repeat, DO NOT - eat at any establishment named after either any device used to trap lobsters or parts of their anatomy. The Lobster Pound. The Lobster Pool. The Lobster Claw. Don't trust me? Check this out. Is your sound on? Good. Hold onto your effing hats!


There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are few and far between. Actually, just to be safe, try not to eat anywhere that has a combination of nets, traps and buoys hanging from the roof either. Trust me. It will be overpriced, watery and disappointing.

Remember those exceptions I mentioned? Here's one:


This is Mac's Shack in Wellfleet and (in my opinion) one of the best places on the Cape to eat. They have a lovely outdoor bar with lots of great cocktail options, a lightning fast raw bar and an inventive oyster shooters menu.


Their menu is a mix of fresh takes on Cape Cod favorites (you can still get a wicked bucket of steamers, as well) and some of the freshest sushi I've ever eaten in my life. It is also one of the only places in the US that I've ever been served fresh, raw, grated wasabi with my meal. Swayze ate his first hamachi collar here and has never been the same since. (For those of you who've never had the pleasure, it's basically the chicken wing of the ocean. Usually glazed with sweet soy and grilled to a crisp. Delectable.)

Actually, does anyone want to go RIGHT NOW?? I love this place.


More wedding-oriented stomach grumbles to come! (Including some options for those of us who are physically or mentally allergic to shellfish. You'll still be able to eat things!)

Mac's Shack
91 Commercial St
Wellfleet, MA 02667
(508) 349-6333

No comments:

Post a Comment